This is a call that my colleague Dr. Inka Barnett has put out on the IDS web site.
We are looking for operational partners who are considering the introduction of mobile phone technology into their nutrition surveillance and monitoring activities. If this is you, we’d like to explore working with your organisation on a pilot evaluation study. We will provide the evaluators and some limited funding. If you are interested, please contact Inka (email@example.com)
There is great hope that mobile phone technology could accelerate data collection and transfer, improve data quality and lower costs for nutrition surveillance in resource-poor settings. However, there is still a lack of reliable evidence to support these assumptions. Moreover, there is scant evidence on how to most effectively use data collected by mobile phone technology to mobilise timely responses that reduce hunger and undernutrition.
This is why IDS is working on building a more rigorous evidence base for the use of mobile phone technology for nutrition surveillance through evidence reviews and a pilot and evaluation study.
For the nutrition surveilance pilot and evaluation we are looking to partner with a regional or international organisation that:
- is engaged in regular nutrition surveillance or monitoring
- considers the introduction of mobile phone technology within their existing system
- has already developed or is in the process of developing a mobile phone based platform is interested in working with IDS as an external evaluation partner.
As part of the partnership, IDS researchers will:
- develop a pilot and evaluation design specific to the requirements of the partner organisation
- conduct a rigorous evaluation of the use of mobile phone technology for nutrition surveillance or monitoring
- develop and pilot testing of innovative approaches to present/visualise nutrition surveillance data more effectively to trigger timely response.
IDS can offer a maximum of £10,000 financial support for the pilot and evaluation.
For further information please contact Dr Inka Barnett.
If youare interested, please send a brief proposal (4 pages maximum) stating how and why you would like to partner with IDS to our Development Office.
Deadline for reciept of proposal: 15th November 2013
Your proposal should include:
- a brief profile of your organisation
- details of your existing nutritional surveillance or monitoring system (e.g. scale, coverage, nutrition indicators collected)
- a description of the features of the mobile platform you have developed/are in the process of developing.
Image: Twenty three year old Sara Lopeyok, a secretary for a relief committee, communicates using her mobile phone with fellow members to arrange the distribution of food aid.
Credit Piers Benatar / Panos- See more at: http://www.ids.ac.uk/news/work-with-us-on-mobile-nutrition-surveillance#sthash.kq3375wM.dpuf