My take was that in a world where the High Level Panel has received nearly a 100 proposals for different Goals (including one on plankton--as a measure of the health of oceans), that nutrition was not going to get a stand alone goal.
I suggested the following:
- A separate nutrition goal, while attractive to nutrition community, is a nonstarter
- Replacing underweight with stunting is a step forward, but not nearly enough
- Bracket hunger and nutrition together as equal--but different– partners
- Beyond this vertical “home” for nutrition, create a “horizontal” nutrition goal with nutrition indicators strategically placed throughout the different goals
- Number of nutrition specific indicators in new framework likely to be small, but worth pushing for 5-6
- Important to push for nutrition-sensitive indicators too